I have a LOT of feelings about this tree.

 Okay, so before you roll your eyes and call me bonkers, hear me out.  This tree... this tree right here has given me SO MUCH perspective during this difficult season.

During quarantine this spring and summer I began taking walks in my neighborhood, and I would walk past this tree every day.  I never noticed it was there, until one day after a huge storm blew threw and took down some of its branches.  I had so many feelings overtake me as I stared at this massive tree, still standing strong after enduring a terrible storm.  I imagine you can see where I'm going with this?

But! I want to point out a few things to you that may not have noticed.  Do you see the parts of the tree that had purposefully been trimmed years ago, allowing it to thrive and grow taller? Do you see the parts that had been torn apart by the storm? Do you see the branches and green leaves that are strong and beautiful and untouched? Do you see the parts of the tree that are probably seeing sunlight for the very first time in many years only because the branches came down in the storm?

My point is this... I want to be more like this tree.  There have been parts of me or habits that I've had that I have purposefully trimmed in order to keep growing tall and strong and maintain my health.  There are parts of me that have been ripped apart my challenges and struggles that I've faced in my life.  There are also parts of me that remain unchanged and continue to thrive. 

Instead of focusing on the pieces that were torn away or are missing, let's focus on the parts that can now grow and been seen in the light that we may have never noticed.  Let's focus on the great stories we will tell about the storms that we've managed to survive, and let's continue to stand strong and grow through the challenges we will undoubtedly face. 

This tree has already faced a few more storms since I took this picture in May.  I'm sure it will face many more, but that doesn't mean that it can't continue to thrive or even become stronger and better for surviving it.  Just look at how beautiful it is and how the light can shine even greater through it now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Days of Lesson Plans FREE! (Individually Created Characters)

Benefits of Using the Daily Lesson Framework

Scaffolding Student Writing with Word Card Sentences