Benefits of Using the Daily Lesson Framework

3 years ago, I began using a daily lesson framework in all of my classes to provide comprehensible input. It changed my life.  As many of you know, I had polyps surgically removed from my vocal cords 2 years ago. I will have to use a microphone to teach with for the rest of my career. As someone who never participated in theater or choir, I had never learned to use my voice correctly. So when I began teaching with CI and almost felt as though I was putting on a show every class for my students, it killed my voice. This daily lesson framework helped solve that issue for me as well.  

Here are 4 benefits to using this daily lesson framework:

1. Creates Routine

We know that brains crave novelty, but they also thrive with routine. This framework allows teachers and students to have the same routine every day while still allowing for freedom and flexibility within that routine.

2. Gradual Release of Responsibility

The daily framework has a focus of "I do, we do, you do" with the teacher providing input to students in the target language then flowing to co-creating texts WITH students, and it finishes with students applying their learning from class.

3. Reading, Listening, Writing, & Speaking EVERY DAY!

In the parts of the daily framework, you will see that all modes of communication can be used in one lesson. Reading, listening, and writing are built in every day, no matter what content you cover, and you can choose an application activity at the end of the lesson to allow students to speak, if you want.

4. It takes off the pressure to be "ON" all day

The way I originally perceived CI classes, I thought I had to be co-creating a story with students or doing a clip chat/movie talk with students for 45 minutes every class, every day. With this daily framework, you only need to be "ON" for about 15 minutes each class. After that, the language gets recycled through the rest of the parts of the framework, and those parts don't require you to give as much oomph to them.


OKAY OKAY, I should probably tell you what this framework is huh? I hope you are more invested in learning how to use it after the four reasons I gave above! 


Here's a summary of the daily lesson framework that was created by Tina Hargaden:

The Daily Framework

*times listed are approximate for classes that are 45-50-ish minutes long. For shorter/longer classes, please see the linked handout with extra resources at the end of this post*

1: Norming the Class: Taking care of teacher business and stating your objective (1-5 minutes)

2: Reading Workshop: Getting students' eyes on text in the target language (where you'd use free choice reading). (5-10 minutes)

3: Guided Oral Input: This is the heart of the lesson where you are giving the students input with whatever content you want to cover. This is where many CI activities would fit like movie talk, picture talk, story listening, visual stories, story asking, etc. (10-15 minutes)

4: Scaffolded Oral Review: A quick oral review of what was covered in the guided oral input (I like to use whole class either/or or true/false questions) (2-5 minutes)

5: Shared Writing: This is where the teacher co-creates a text with students. The most common strategy used here is write and discuss. (5-10 minutes)

6: Shared Reading: This is where the the teacher and students read the class text that was just created. First, the teacher reads the text to the students in the target language. Then the class chorally translates the text word by word so the teacher can listen for any areas of hesitation where the students may need more support for their comprehension. Then the teacher will ask if any students noticed anything about the way the language was put together that they'd like to teach the rest of the class. This allows for those grammar lovers in your class to share what they pick up on and you can do a little pop up grammar if you'd like. (5-10 minutes)

7: Student Application & Assessment: This is where students have the opportunity to show their learning for the day. You may want to use strategies like a quick quiz, listen and draw, or the question and answer game if you want to get students talking! (5-10 minutes)


If you'd like to hear more, I recorded this podcast episode all about the daily lesson framework. I also made this handout with extra resources for you to begin using the framework. Here is a menu of strategies for different parts of the framework!

Let me know if you use this daily framework and how it works for you!!

Kaitlin




Comments

  1. Hi Kaitlin!
    I loved watching you do an early level 1 (Sept 7) calendar talk. IIt was validating! I teach ASL, so it looks a little different, but we teach VERY similarly, including brain break(s) and points on the board. You are a joy to watch - I know enough Spanish to follow along. Keep up the *most excellent* work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4 Days of Lesson Plans FREE! (Individually Created Characters)

Scaffolding Student Writing with Word Card Sentences